Pleasantries


      According to the Merriam Webster online dictionary, exchanging pleasantry means a polite social remark when you meet someone, like saying hi, hello, how are you and stuff like that. I know for a fact that it is  good and even a polite thing to do but what happens when you get awkward when it comes to exchanging pleasantry? 

      I am particularly hesitant when it boils down to greeting someone but hey, don't get me wrong; I am a social butterfly who is not just good with hellos; we might be acquaintances, co-workers, former colleagues, distant relatives, close cousins, friends, or just about anyone (except for best friends and family of course) and I am going to shy away from saying hello.

       Some people might even think that I am snobbish or have forgotten them for not saying a simple hello, but in reality what I am trying to do is fight over my anxiety to get the damn hello out. I do not know what the case really is, all I know is that its extremely difficult for me to bring about myself to exchange pleasantries.

      How nice would it be if we could just get down to business and chit chat without the formal hi, hello, how are you part of the conversation because when it comes down to it, I could tell you that I am not all that bad at making conversations. Maybe exchanging pleasantries is too formal and it tend to get really awkward at times and I despise awkward situations, just so you know. I might seem like nothing is wrong but trust me when I say I am actually figuring out how to come up to you and get over the gawky phase indeed. 

    Probably it is just me? I have no clue if anyone else has this issue as well for I have never discussed it with anyone but all I want to say is if you know me personally and you see me standing awkwardly pretending I have not seen you, do come up to me and we can awkwardly exchange pleasantries for a couple of seconds before having a splendid conversation for I hold nothing against you, it is merely a battle within my very own warfare. 


Comments

Popular Posts