MY FIRST EVER SURGERY!

 I have been suffering with tooth ache for the past 2 or 3 years. At first, it was nothing too bad. It was an occasional pain, once or twice a year to which I'd pop some pain killers or visit the dentist who would cement my broken tooth (the broken tooth is a whole different story). 

An Insta-story highlight of what I had to endure during this process. 

What changed the game was that last year, the pain did not stop even when my dentist refilled the cement. That is when I took my very first teeth x-ray and found that I have wisdom tooth growing under my right, half broken molar tooth and that is what's causing the pain! 

My dentist told me I'll have to undergo a special surgery unlike other wisdom tooth surgery because there is a risk. Since the wisdom tooth was placed too close to one of the nerves, they might accidentally hit the nerves and I might loose senses in my mouth! Might be temporary or permanent, no one was to decide until the surgery was done. 

I was referred to the "Bedah Mulut" department. 

Typically, I was overcome by fear and didn't want to go for the surgery. Life went on until the life threatening pain came back this year and it just wouldn't leave me alone. I couldn't eat or drink, so I decided to go to a government dental instead.  

They tried extracting the broken tooth first to see if it is any help, but the root of the tooth couldn't be extracted and I had to go for a surgery either way. 

The x-ray room is no stranger to me now. 

I will not kid about this, it was an extremely long process but it was worth it. A week after half of the broken tooth was extracted, I had to go for another teeth x-ray in which they found another wisdom tooth on the left side also growing under one of my molar tooth. 

The dentists scheduled for an appointment later that month to drug me and get the wisdom teeth on both sides out but luck was not on my side. 

A week later I was called in again because there was another tooth growing inside my bone between my nose and my lips. The dentist had to take yet another x-ray, discuss the situation with the dental surgeons, braces experts and a whole lot of professionals. 

Each time I visited the dentist, there was a new set of complications. 

I had a choice to either wear braces so that they can pull the tooth inside the bone with a chain or go for surgery and extract all 6 teeth! Both with its own set of repercussions, of course. 

a) The teeth was growing sideways. So, even if I had braces on, it was nearly impossible to pull it upright. The professionals told me it might take even up to 10 years or so. 

b) If I opted for surgery, whatever I eat or drink might come out of my nose. It was a 5% risk but it was a risk, nevertheless.

c) If I ignored even one of the tooth, it might decay and cause infection because these teeth were in a part where a toothbrush couldn't reach.  

So obviously I opted for the surgery, to get it all done once and for all. My surgery was scheduled in mid - August and I couldn't sleep just thinking about it for a long time. 

However, a week before the surgery I got a call from the hospital saying there was an empty slot for the very day and if i could get admitted ASAP. I agreed since I couldn't wait for it to be over. 

So, I was admitted in the hospital a few days back, I got my vitals checked and was taken very good care of. My surgery was lined the first at 8 am the very next day. That night, I got jitters and anxious thinking about the surgery. 

I was admitted a day before the surgery at GH. 


The Sun came up, the nurses and surgeon calmed me down and drugged me. I instantly fell asleep, the next thing I know the surgery was done. All 6 teeth were extracted! 

 I wouldn't lie to you and say it was all roses and sunshine, I went through a lot of pain. My face swelled up like nobody's business for a week and I had terrible sore throat. I couldn't even eat porridge or soup, I just couldn't swallow. 

My face was extremely swollen post surgery. 

I survived on cartons and cartons of chocolate milk and home made soy. There was also the occasional Vanilla ice cream for some solace. However, I must say that the surgery was effective. 

There is always a stereotype among us saying that government hospitals are no good, the wait is tedious and so on. I was skeptical at first as well, but for this surgery I did not have a choice since private dentists were all very expensive. 

 "Let me tell you this; the care provided at the government hospital just stunned me; the staffs were all very nice, understanding and completely helpful." 

The next time you want to go to a government hospital, don't think twice. As long as you have time, you are good to go and if you don't have time for your health then you should re-think your priorities. 

During my extensive research for my dental procedure, I found out that mine was not a rare case. Many people have this condition, some have gone through it like me, while most of them are just enduring the pain due to fear. 

That's the whole reason I'm writing this, to tell those who are still waiting to get it over with. It is not easy, but if you have a great support system to make you feel all better than you should get it done.  

My family was not allowed to accompany me at the hospital due to the pandemic, but I was only admitted for one day and got discharged the next day after the surgery. 

Once I was back home, my family and friends made sure I was comfortable, bought ice packs to quench the swell, brought all the liquid supplies I needed and just their presence made it all better for me. 

The real villain is not the surgery after all, but when they take the stitches out. My mouth was stitched in 3 places including the palate of my mouth. Yet, one has to face their fears.

So if you are still waiting ...

I'm here to tell you that your wait is over, sweetheart. 

Just get it done. 

P/s: Luckily for me, the side effects did not come true. I am recovering after the surgery as of now. 

Comments

Popular Posts