Labels



Girly, not so girly, a little too guyish for a girl, too gangster, too sensitive, fat, too skinny, tomboy, too soft for a guy; all these things aren't just labels we put on each other as a society but the blame game we keep playing to escape from our own little discomfort; some do it to ease a certain discomfort, others for fun and plenty others for various reasons. 


I mean like we all have been judged and we all have judged, we can't help it because we are only humans and usually the forbidden fruit is the sweetest, so goes to this habit which only destroys each other in the end and yes its tempting but who are we to be blamed? 

As much as the above stated fact resonates with you, we all have to somehow admit that the impact of us been labeled or judged has somehow managed to stick with us all this time in the back burner of our mind. It has in some way or rather affected the way we behave or make decisions in our lives. 

Let's take my life for example, I used to be a plump adolescent during my school days up till I was 17, people would call me names all the time and I was trying to lose weight ever since I was 13. I became so weight conscious that I tried every trick I learned, I learned every dieting secrets by heart, I spoke calories for years, tried sports and so many other things but only in vain. Finally, I learned the actual secret to weight loss when I was 18 and started losing weight drastically, I am slim now but damaged for life as the trauma never quite leaves me alone. I still call myself fat even when I'm not because I feel fat, I am always constantly trying to lose more weight because it never seems enough. I know very well that i shouldn't cave in to the society's so-called beauty standards but all those years of pressure and mental stress has got to me for good and I can't seem to get the hell out of it. My weight fluctuates a lot because I have my "I-should-eat-properly-and-stay-healthy" phase but I also have my "oh-God-I-need-to-lose-weight" phase. 

Many people think I call myself fat because I seek assurance or maybe even attention but no; if you give it a thought you might actually realize that no amount of assurance or attention can tone it down because it is way more than that, I do that because I feel like I really need to lose weight and so do those people who do this thing. They might have not been fat before but looking at how other people get penalized for something as minor as cellulite and body fat can actually traumatize even a skinny person. 

One a completely different note, some people say I'm girlish, others say I'm a tomboy, while the rest say I'm somewhere in the middle but honestly why do we need to have these labels? Why can't we be just done with them for good? Why can't we just let a person to be them self no matter what it is or how it is? It is so easy to say things like "you need to lose weight", "you look old", "you laugh like a monster", "you are too feminine for a guy" but the impact of it occupies a person's entire lifetime! I mean like obviously it's okay to joke around with your friends or the ones whom you are close with but passing a mean comment to a stranger or a passer by and saying I was just joking is really taking it to another level. When did it become okay to talk like that to someone who you are not close with and call it a joke and also call them sensitive for getting offended?

Remember, there's only a very thin line between joking and being mean. I'm not perfect as well, there were times a couple of years ago when I have been utterly rude and sarcastic to my very close friends to the extent of some of them leaving and the rest being scared to even say something but I have now realized and become a better person but that doesn't make it okay still for only God knows how many people are still haunted by my words just like how other people's words are still haunting me. But then again, it is totally different to do something without realizing and keep doing the same thing even after knowing its not the right thing to do, so let's just spread genuine love (without simply passing nice comments that we do not mean) for I have learned the hard way that 'if you do not have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all' and honestly can we just throw away the labels already? 

Comments

Popular Posts