My 21st

      


      Ever since I turned 4, I couldn't wait to turn 21 because 21 means the age of eternal youth, party,  and most definitely fun. Finally, the day I've been waiting for the past 17 years is here! Siiiiighhhhhhh, what a long wait it was, feels like a lifetime has passed, but now that I'm finally 21 I know better. I'm dedicating this blog to my 21 year old self as a self reflection journey to see how far I've come because a prudent person once told me; "every year on your birthday, please take the time to reflect back on how you once were, how you are now, and how you will be in the future. This will help you create and achieve more goals, instill better values in you as an individual, and will help your future" and since this year marks a pivotal milestone in my voyage, I decided to do it. Why not right?

   Knowing better isn't knowing more, it simply means I know what I know but in a better perspective, more like the view from the Klcc tower on a sunny day instead of a foggy evening. Life has had many ups and downs in these 21 years, of course, after all that is what life is about. I've had moments when I was blissfully happy, depressed, excited, anxious, worried, and so many other bitter sweet moments which made the victories a little sweeter and the failures a little easier to digest.

     So many lessons have been taught to me in the school of life, a couple of experiences here and there, a few adventures, and one too many swigs of beers as well as ciders has brought me to where I am today. Even though I'm still figuring out who I'm supposed to be, what kind of decisions I should make, how long I should put an issue in the back burner of my mind before I come to a conclusion, how to be a better person, and things like that, I still choose to take pride on how far I've come. It wasn't easy, nothing worth will never come easy, if it does, it wouldn't last for it will be taken for granted. 


      The hardest thing I've learned and am still learning is to be positive in a negative situation, to find the silver lining in clouds of grey storms. Being positive, grateful, and having an upbeat mood when everything surrounding you is happiness and sunshine is one thing, controlling your mood swings, having happy thoughts, and being positive when everything surrounding you is tornado and flood is another. What I'm trying and will soon master is the latter, it is the very essence of life. 

    Being consistent and perseverance is yet one more skill in my list which I am dying to adapt, it requires a lot of discipline. I would be consistent for like a month but what I'm trying to do is to make it a lifestyle, a routine, instead of a challenge for a month. Running regularly, healthy eating habits, and constant self-betterment has always been a battle for a month or so, hopefully I will be hardworking and disciplined enough to make it a routine as how I want to. 

    Having said that, I would always strive harder to live up to my standards and once that is achieved, I would raise the bar to a higher standard for a person should always find a loop hole or an opportunity to be a better person than he or she was the day before. Life can be dull or interesting depending on how you view the bigger picture, the artist will look at the beauty of Monalisa while the critic will look at one or two of the missed out details, to be an artist or critic is wholly your decision, choose wisely. 

"Beyond counting the candles and the years, make sure you focus on the journey" - anonymous. 

P/s: Happy 21st to me, a gift from me to me! :) 




Comments

Popular Posts